FishAI: Sustainable Commercial Fishing
The Norwegian Government aims to reduce CO2 emissions from domestic fishing 50% by 2030. Artificial Intelligence combined with your skillset might be the key to achieve this goal!
With a fishing zone of 2.1 million square meters, Norway is considered Europe's largest fishing and aquaculture nation. Every year, commercial vessels land fish to a total value of around NOK 20 billion in Norway.
At an overall level, the migration patterns of a variety of fish species are relatively predictable. A fisherman knows, for example, that the mackerel season starts in mid-September and plans accordingly.
On a daily basis however, fish can move over large distances, and with the main decision-making tool being the captain´s experience and intuition, boats typically search for days, even weeks, before making a catch.
In other words, there are great environmental benefits and opportunities in optimizing commercial fishing activities by reducing unnecessary transport distances. We believe that smarter use of publicly available data is key to transforming one of the oldest industries in the world.
We invite you to take a deep dive into the data and transform them into a powerful decision-making tool for the Captains of the 1100 vessels operating across the Norwegian fishing zone!
- May 9th, 2022: Competition launch and dataset release
- June 16th, 2022: Digital Kick off and Q&A for registered teams
- Register here: https://www.nora.ai/events/NORA.FishAI-digital-kickoff
- September 9th, 2022: Deadline for submitting results.
- September 23rd, 2022: Jury evaluation of results.
- October 21st, 2022: Deadline for submitting method description paper.
- November 14th, 2022: Presentation and winner announcement!
Hosted in collaboration with: